Suppport the plant database you love!

Tuesday - May 15, 2012

From: Arlington, TX
Topic: Propagation, Cacti and Succulents
Title: Pollinating moth of Arkansas Yucca from Arlington TX

QUESTION:

What is the pollinating moth of the Arkansas yucca. I have Desert willows which is the larval host for white-winged moth, but the yuccas are still not seeding. What other larval hosts plants can I provide for the AY?

ANSWER:

From the US Forest Service, we found this article on Yucca Moths - Tegeticula sp.

The Yucca and its Moth from Palomar.edu.

From eHow How Often Do Yucca Plants Bloom? we found this quotation:

"Not all species of yucca bloom with similar regularity or visual prominence. As these plants are slow-growing, some take considerable time to mature to an age that produces flowers. Once a plant does bloom, expect blooms to return again the subsequent years at the same time of year."

We could find no specific information on exactly how old Yucca arkansana (Arkansas yucca) had to be to put on blooms. In terms of propagation, of course, you can always transplant offshoots of the main plant. Follow the plant link to learn about this specific species of yucca.  In addition, here is an excellent article on How to Plant a Yucca Plant.

Arkansas yucca
Yucca arkansana

Arkansas yucca
Yucca arkansana

Arkansas yucca
Yucca arkansana