Suppport the plant database you love!

Monday - April 30, 2012

From: Lago Vista, TX
Topic: Cacti and Succulents
Title: Spineless prickly pear from Lago Vista TX

QUESTION:

We visited Lady Bird Johnson Center yesterday. I was impressed with the spine less prickly pear cactus. Is it a native or a hybrid?

ANSWER:

Please follow this line   Opuntia ellisiana (Spineless prickly pear) to our webpage on this plant. Especially notice this warning:

"Beware, although it doesn't have long sharp spines, the tiny glochids (slivers) are very irritating to the skin if the plant is not handled correctly. Grab the pads between the glochid dots."

We once heard a story that this "cultivated" plant just showed up in a Corpus Christi nursery. It can be propagated, unlike most hybrids. See the Propagation Instruction on the webpage.

Spineless prickly pear
Opuntia ellisiana

Spineless prickly pear
Opuntia ellisiana

Spineless prickly pear
Opuntia ellisiana