Host an Event Volunteer Join Tickets

Support the plant database you love!

Q. Who is Mr. Smarty Plants?

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers are the culpable and capable culprits. Yet, others think staff members play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Help us grow by giving to the Plant Database Fund or by becoming a member

Did you know you can access the Native Plant Information Network with your web-enabled smartphone?

Share

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants is a free service provided by the staff and volunteers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Search Smarty Plants
See a list of all Smarty Plants questions

Please forgive us, but Mr. Smarty Plants has been overwhelmed by a flood of mail and must take a break for awhile to catch up. We hope to be accepting new questions again soon. Thank you!

Need help with plant identification, visit the plant identification page.

 
rate this answer
Not Yet Rated

Monday - July 25, 2011

From: Kitchener, ON
Region: Canada
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: What caused bump after walk in woods from Ontario
Answered by: Barbara Medford

QUESTION:

I recently went for a walk in the woods near a stream. When I got to the river my leg had a little bump. It wasn't itching. I got home, it swelled even bigger. Can you tell me what plant I bumped into? Thank you

ANSWER:

Here is a list of the Poisonous Trees and Shrubs of Ontario. All three listed are native to Ontario:

Menispermum canadense (Common moonseed) - only berries are toxic if eaten. Pictures.

Toxicodendron vernix (Poison sumac) - all parts poisonous. Pictures 

Toxicodendron radicans (Eastern poison ivy) - all parts poisonous. Pictures

Our personal opinion is that you probably were stung  by some insect. Being in the woods near a stream, the best guess is a mosquito, but you could also have brushed against a plant with a spider or ants on it that didn't take well to your intrusion.

Our advice: if it has swollen more, spread to a rash, or you are having allergic reactions, see a doctor.

 

 

 

 

More Poisonous Plants Questions

Is any part of flowering peach (Prunus persica) toxic to dogs
April 26, 2009 - I know that peach pits and wilting leaves are poisonous to dogs, but can you tell me if any part of the Red Flowering Peach Tree (no fruit) is toxic?
view the full question and answer

Is Penstemon Poisonous to Dogs?
February 21, 2016 - Is Penstemon palmeri poisonous to dogs? I couldn't find in ASPA guide.
view the full question and answer

Alternative to Carolina Cherry Laurel in Cedar Park TX
May 10, 2010 - I love the look of the Carolina Cherry Laurel but hear that its berries are poisonous and can harm my dog if he eats them. What are some other alternatives that have a similar look; I'm looking for ...
view the full question and answer

Is Lemon Cypress toxic?
August 15, 2012 - Is the Lemon Cypress toxic?
view the full question and answer

Discouraging Poison Ivy
June 27, 2015 - Is there a fern that discourages poison ivy from growing?
view the full question and answer

Support the Wildflower Center by Donating Online or Becoming a Member today.