Suppport the plant database you love!

Monday - July 11, 2011

From: Liberty Hill, TX
Topic: Planting, Transplants, Watering, Shrubs
Title: Possumhaw losing leaves in Liberty Hill, TX.

QUESTION:

I have two female possumhaw trees and one of them is losing its leaves. I planted both of them in February and they were doing very well, getting green and full. What's happening?

ANSWER:

Whenever Mr. Smarty Plants hears about plants that have been planted recently and are not doing well, his thoughts turn to transplant shock and watering problems. This case is complicated by the fact that only one of the two plants is suffering. Possumhaw Ilex decidua (Possumhaw) is a beautiful Texas plant whose native distribution includes Williamson County, so lets see what we can do to save your plants.

I’m going to refer you to some links that deal with three important  aspects of the problem; planting, watering, and transplant shock.

Planting

Watering

Transplant shock;  (also see)

Then of course there is the drought.

Possumhaw
Ilex decidua