Friday - July 01, 2011

Topic: Wildflower Center
Title: Source for Crushed Limestone Used at the Wildflower Center
Answered by: Mike Tomme

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty plants, Do you know where I can find the pulverized limestone that you have at the entrance around the front of the building? It's right around where you have Clematis texensis. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ANSWER:

Well, it turns out that nobody Mr. Smarty Plants talked to at the Wildflower Center could remember where that material came from. However, all agreed it is readily available in the central Texas area.

Most landscape supply companies sell a product like what you are looking for. It usiually is called crushed limestone or or there is a finer grained product called limestone sand. A Google search for "Crushed Limestone Austin" turned up a number of vendors in the area.