Tuesday - April 26, 2011

From: Sorrento, FL
Topic: Edible Plants
Title: Identification of a plant with bumpy red fruit

QUESTION:

I have a bush with red berry like pods on it. They are about 3/4 of an inch bumpy round with a big seed inside. The leaves are smooth and oval shape. Please let me know if it is poisonous or not, and what it might be. Thank You

ANSWER:

This sounds like Arbutus unedo (strawberry tree).  It is native to Europe.  Here is more information from University of Florida IFAS Extension.  It apparently is not poisonous since it is reported as being edible but not very flavorful.  You can see more photos and find more information at this UBC Botanical Garden site and by searching on the internet using its botanical name.