Wednesday - April 12, 2006

From: Decatur, TX
Topic: Container Gardens
Title: Planting time, either by acorn or container grown tree, of Shumard red oak
Answered by: Dean Garrett

QUESTION:

Hello, I have a question on when is the best time to plant shumard red oak. I live in Zone 7. thank you

ANSWER:

If you're starting at square one and planting an acorn, put it in the ground during acorn season in the fall, as soon as possible after collection. It will begin to send down roots pretty quickly. Top growth will occur in the spring if the winter is normally cold, as shoot growth depends on exposure to cold.

If you're planting a container-grown tree, the best time for all woody plants is during the dormant season, usually from late November to January in much of Texas. This allows the roots time to become established before energy is devoted to top growth in the spring.