Suppport the plant database you love!

From: Livonia, MI
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Vine for screening fence in Michigan

QUESTION:

Need a perennial vine to grow on a chain link fence, full sun, moist ground. Wanted to block view. If it flowers and/or attracts butterflies, all the better.

ANSWER:

Ahh, we love short questions at this time of year!

Usually we have to go into a longwinded explanation on how to search our database, but seeing as how you have provided the conditions narrowing the choices, here they are:

Campsis radicans (trumpet creeper) attracts hummingbirds

Celastrus scandens (American bittersweet)  attracts birds (fruit)

Clematis virginiana (devil's darning needles) attracts hummingbirds and butterflies

Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle) Flowers attract hummingbirds, bees, and butterflies. Fruits attract quail, Purple Finch, Goldfinch, Hermit Thrush, American Robin.

Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper) atracts birds (fruit)

Campsis radicans

Celastrus scandens

Clematis virginiana

Lonicera sempervirens

Parthenocissus quinquefolia