Tuesday - May 04, 2010

From: Idaho Falls, ID
Topic: Butterfly Gardens
Title: Hummingbird and butterfly plants for Idaho

I'm interested in planting a hummingbird and butterfly friendly garden. What do you suggest? I would like something that will rebloom every year and that has long lasting blooms or some different ones that bloom at different times so my garden is blooming as long as possible. Thanks

On our Recommended Species page under "Special Collections" you will find a link to a list of plants valuable to moths and butterflies.  You can find which of those plants are native to Idaho by using the NARROW YOUR SEARCH option in the sidebar of that list. Here are a few recommendations for perennials chosen from this list: 

Amelanchier alnifolia (Saskatoon serviceberry) blooms April, May and June

Amorpha fruticosa (desert false indigo) blooms April, May and June

Asclepias asperula (spider milkweed) blooms March through October

Asclepias speciosa (showy milkweed) blooms May through September

Rosa nutkana (Nootka rose) blooms May, June and July

Here are some annuals and biennials that should reseed themselves after they bloom.

Cleome serrulata (Rocky Mountain beeplant) blooms July, August and September. 

Sphaeralcea coccinea (scarlet globemallow) blooms April through September

Rudbeckia hirta (blackeyed Susan) blooms June through October

Here are a couple of extra Idaho native possibilities with red flowers for attracting hummingbirds:

Ipomopsis aggregata (scarlet gilia) is a biennial and blooms August, September and October

Aquilegia formosa (western columbine) blooms May through August

Here are photos from our Image Gallery:

Amelanchier alnifolia

Amorpha fruticosa

Asclepias asperula

Asclepias speciosa

Rosa nutkana

Cleome serrulata

Sphaeralcea coccinea

Rudbeckia hirta

Ipomopsis aggregata

Aquilegia formosa