Suppport the plant database you love!

Thursday - April 01, 2010

From: Marietta, GA
Title: Exotic plant/shrubs for Marietta, GA.

QUESTION:

Hi. I live in Marietta GA. and i am looking to add some curb appeal to my front lawn (around the border of the house). I would like evergreen plants and shrubs. I love the tropical/exotic look. do you know of any exotic plant/shrub that stays green year around and would go in Georgia. Thank you

ANSWER:

Please be assured that we mean no offense when we say we strongly believe that exotic tropical plants should be grown and appreciated in exotic, tropical locales.  The mission of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and the vision Mrs. Johnson gave us focus solely on the appreciation and use of plants in their native regions.

A couple of native, evergreen shrubs you might consider are Ilex vomitoria (yaupon) and Morella cerifera (wax myrtle) - the dwarf cultivars of each species will probably work best for the location you wish to use them.