Saturday - February 27, 2010

From: Leander, TX
Topic: Cacti and Succulents
Title: Central Texas plant to grow in cavity in cedar (Juniperus ashei)

QUESTION:

Is there a CenTX native that would be happy in a one-gallon cavity in a Cedar tree? I'd like to disguise an amputated limb. I'd consider a Bromeliad or Staghorn fern, but would prefer a native.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks 'he' has the perfect plant for you.  How about Opuntia engelmannii var. lindheimeri (Texas pricklypear)?  I've actually seen them growing in both Quercus fusiformis (plateau oak) and Juglans nigra (black walnut) high up on limbs—their seeds deposited there, no doubt, by small furry animals or feathered friends who enjoyed eating the ripe prickly pears.  The cactus should do well in the hollow in your Juniperus ashei (Ashe's juniper) as long as it gets adequate sun.  It will be evergreen and should produce some beautiful blooms in May or June.

Texas prickly pear
Opuntia engelmannii var. lindheimeri

Texas prickly pear
Opuntia engelmannii var. lindheimeri