Suppport the plant database you love!

Tuesday - October 27, 2009

From: Wimberley, TX
Title: Twig girdlers attacking an Elm tree in Wimberly, TX.

QUESTION:

I was looking at my small 6' cedar elm and noticed that four (4) 1/2" limbs have circle cuts a 1/8" wide completely around them and they are dead. Is this some insect or maybe a bigger critter? I have several other cedar elms and they are not affected.

ANSWER:

It sounds like your elm tree has been visited by a twig girdler, a type wood-boring beetle. Texas Agricultural Extension Service of Texas A&M University has an excellent publication, Wood Boring Insects of Trees and Shrubs , with information to help identify your particular pest and how to control it.

Other useful sources of information can be found at:

Texas Agricultural Extension Service

University of Nebraska Extension

Check this site for some good beetle images