Host an Event Volunteer Join Tickets

Support the plant database you love!

Q. Who is Mr. Smarty Plants?

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers are the culpable and capable culprits. Yet, others think staff members play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Help us grow by giving to the Plant Database Fund or by becoming a member

Did you know you can access the Native Plant Information Network with your web-enabled smartphone?

Share

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants is a free service provided by the staff and volunteers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Search Smarty Plants
See a list of all Smarty Plants questions

Please forgive us, but Mr. Smarty Plants has been overwhelmed by a flood of mail and must take a break for awhile to catch up. We hope to be accepting new questions again soon. Thank you!

Need help with plant identification, visit the plant identification page.

 
rate this answer
1 rating

Wednesday - August 19, 2009

From: San Marcos, TX
Region: Southwest
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Toxicity of Yucca leaves San Marcos, TX
Answered by: Amy Johnson

QUESTION:

Can you tell me if Yucca constricta leaves are poisonous? I ran into one at night and the next morning had a hive-like, VERY itchy rash.

ANSWER:

The roots, at least, of Yucca constricta (Buckley's yucca) do contain saponins, which, while toxic to humans, are usually poorly absorbed and therefore do not usually irritate unless you are sensitive or allergic to them.  Incidentally, beneficial uses of these same saponins have been found for humans as well, usually involving cooking them to remove any toxicity.  You mentioned the leaves, and it is possible that some of the sap containing saponins from the plant could have escaped upon contact and caused the intense irritation in your skin, especially if you are sensitive or allergic to it.  It's also possible that there was more than just the Yucca itself involved - other pollen or bacteria could have been on the leaf or even your skin to begin with, and the abrasion caused by contact may have allowed one of those to penetrate and therefore irritate the surrounding skin.  Hopefully your rash is healing now - such a rash sounds very yucca!


Yucca constricta

Yucca constricta

Yucca constricta

 

 

More Poisonous Plants Questions

Non-floweriing vines not poisonous to dogs from Pittsburgh PA
June 10, 2013 - Are there any vines or crawlers (nothing that flowers) that are non poisonous to dogs? Everything I am finding is poisonous, I want to plant some vines up a chain link fence around a swimming pool.
view the full question and answer

Non-native astilbe resemblance to non-native poisonous castor bean from Tomslake BC
May 21, 2014 - I have a plant that looks like a castor bean but it has flowers like a Younique Silvery Pink Astilbe. Need to id because castor bean is poisonous. This plant grows up to 5 feet in height. Thank you !
view the full question and answer

How toxic are milkweed (Asclepias spp.)?
November 01, 2011 - We are considering a monarch waystation for our local elementary and are concerned about milkweed toxicity. Would it be safe to plant it in reach of children?
view the full question and answer

Food for a veiled chameleon in Columbus GA
May 20, 2011 - Hi I own a Veiled Chameleon, and have been recently searching for different options as to live plant use for their cage. It has pretty much come down to using hibiscus plants and only hibicus plants. ...
view the full question and answer

Are palm tree thorns poisonous?
January 27, 2012 - Almost 3 weeks ago I trimmed the fronds of my pygmy date palm. The tip of a thorn was stuck in my finger. I pulled it out. The side of my finger is still very painful and my finger is swollen. I c...
view the full question and answer

Support the Wildflower Center by Donating Online or Becoming a Member today.