Saturday - May 02, 2009

Title: Native shade-loving container plant for Austin

QUESTION:

What is a good plant that works well in a container, is shade-loving and produces some blooms?

ANSWER:

Since you live in the same town as we do, we're sure you already know that the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the care, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plant is being grown. If you would like a little extra help with native plants in containers, read our How-To Article Container Gardening with Native Plants. We will go to our Recommended Species section, click on Central Texas on the map, and then use the Narrow Your Search function to select on "herbs" (herbaceous blooming plants) for habit and "part shade" and "shade" for Light Requirements. We will not select anything under "Duration." You might choose perennials that will stay in the same pot over time, but will die back all or partially during the winter, or annuals that can be kept in the pot while they are blooming, and then replaced by something that blooms later. These plants are all commercially available; if you have difficulty locating them, go to our Native Plant Suppliers section, type your town and state into the Enter Search Location box, and you'll get a list of native plant nurseries, seed suppliers, and landscape and environment consultants in your general area.

Herbaceous blooming plants for container gardening in Austin

Callirhoe involucrata (purple poppymallow) - evergreen, sprawling up to 3', thick mat up to 1 ft., blooms white, pink, purple March to June, sun or part shade

Conoclinium coelestinum (blue mistflower) - perennial to 3 ft. tall, blooms blue, purple July to November, sun, part shade

Coreopsis lanceolata (lanceleaf tickseed) - perennial, evergreen, to 2-1/2 ft. tall, blooms yellow April to June, sun, part shade or shade

Echinacea purpurea (eastern purple coneflower) - perennial, 2 to 5 ft., blooms pink, purple April to September, sun or part shade

Ipomopsis rubra (standing-cypress) - biennial, to 6 ft. tall, blooms red, orange, yellow, May to July, sun or part shade

Lobelia cardinalis (cardinalflower) - perennial, 1 to 6 ft. tall, blooms red, orange, yellow, May to July, sun or part shade

Machaeranthera tanacetifolia (tanseyleaf tansyaster) - annual, spreading, 6 to 12" tall, blooms purple May to October, sun or part shade

Melampodium leucanthum (plains blackfoot) - perennial, mounded 6 to 12" tall, blooms white, yellow March to November, sun or part shade

Phlox drummondii (annual phlox) - annual, 12 to 20" tall, blooms white, red, pink, purple March to June, sun or part shade

Salvia coccinea (blood sage) - annual/perennial, 1 to 3 ft. tall, blooms white, red, pink February to October, sun, part shade, or shade

Salvia engelmannii (Engelmann's sage) -perennial to 1-1/2 ft. tall, blooms blue, purple April and May, sun or part shade

Salvia roemeriana (cedar sage) - perennial to 2 ft. tall,blooms red March to August, part shade

Callirhoe involucrata

Conoclinium coelestinum

Coreopsis lanceolata

Echinacea purpurea

Ipomopsis rubra

Lobelia cardinalis

Machaeranthera tanacetifolia

Melampodium leucanthum

Phlox drummondii

Salvia coccinea

Salvia engelmannii

Salvia roemeriana