Sunday - June 05, 2005

From: Los Angeles, CA
Topic: Ferns
Title: Propagation of ferns

QUESTION:

I have several varieties of well-established ferns and would like to know how I might propagate these ferns. I have tried just snipping one stem to root it but I was unsuccessful.

ANSWER:

Ferns typically cannot be propagated by stem cuttings. For most home fern gardeners, the best method of propagation is by plant division. That is, you should remove a large fern from the soil and divide it into two or more plants by severing the rhizomes with a sharp knife or pruning shears. Once separated plant the newly divided ferns into good potting soil, water, and keep out of direct sunlight until they are well established. Ferns may also be propagated by spores, but that is a more difficult process and typically requires very exacting growing conditions.