Friday - March 13, 2009

From: Cleveland, OH
Title: What is the name of a green plantin Ohio with white flowers that kind of look like broccoli?

Last summer I saw a plant that had very full, very light green almost white flowers that kind of looked like broccoli. Do you know the name of this plant?

Sounds like an interesting plant, but it is very difficult - and usually not possible - for Mr. Smarty Plants  to identify a plant from a written description.  However, we will be happy to try to ID your mystery plant from good-quality digital images.  Usually a series of well-focused, close-up images of the plant's leaves, flowers, stems (especially the thorns) , fruit (if available), and an overall shot of the plant yield the best results.  Please go to the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants Plant Identification page for specific details on submitting images for identification. 

One member of the Mr. Smarty Plants crew thinks it sounds like Achillea millefolium (common yarrow). This link will take you to the NPIN page where you can peruse 33 images to see if this is your plant.