Suppport the plant database you love!

Thursday - February 19, 2009

From: Myrtle Beach, SC
Title: Serviceberry for North Myrtle Beach, SC

QUESTION:

I'm looking to landscape a second home in North Myrtle Beach,SC and was wondering if the Serviceberry trees we love so much in the Buckeye State would also grow down here? Thanks!!

ANSWER:

While many of the members of the Amelanchier (serviceberry) genus do seem to occur only in cooler climates, we did find three that are native both to Ohio and South Carolina. All the plants in our Native Plant Database are commercially available, but you might have to ask a local native plant nursery to order these for you. Go to our Native Plant Suppliers section, type the town and state where you want to grow the serviceberry into the "Enter Search Location" box, and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed suppliers and landscape and environment specialists in your general area.

Follow the links below to the webpage on each plant for more information. Down at the bottom of the page will be a Google link to material on the Internet on that plant. 

Amelanchier laevis (Allegheny serviceberry)

Amelanchier arborea (common serviceberry)

Amelanchier arborea var. arborea (common serviceberry) - pictures

Amelanchier laevis

Amelanchier arborea