Friday - January 07, 2005

From: Santa Fe, NM
Title: Smarty Plants on Isocoma pluriflora

QUESTION:

I would like to know when isocoma pluriflora (rayless goldenrod) blooms in the Santa Fe, N.M. area. I'd also like to know its height. Other info will also be appreciated.

ANSWER:

Isocoma pluriflora (formerly Isocoma wrightii), rayless goldenrod or jimmyweed, blooms from June to October and grows from 1-3 feet high. According to Charles R. Hurt et al. (Toxic Plants of Texas: Integrated Management Strategies to Prevent Livestock Losses. 2003. Texas Cooperative Extension. Texas A & M University) the rayless goldenrod is toxic to livestock and can cause death if the animal consumes the equivalent of 1 to 1.5 percent of its body weight over a 2 to 3 week period.

You can see pictures and read a description in the Native Plants Database on the Wildflower Center web page. Another account can be found on Texas A & M Horticulture web page and another in the USDA Plants Database.

Southern goldenbush
Isocoma pluriflora