Tuesday - June 10, 2008

From: Nashville, TN
Title: Wildflowers blooming in Austin in October

QUESTION:

Does the Austin area have any flowers that grow/bloom in October? I'm getting married in Austin in October and want the entire event to be as earth-friendly as possible..hence native flowers.

ANSWER:

You can find a list of plants blooming in Central Texas by going to our Recommended Species page and selecting the Central Texas area from the map. This will bring up a list of commercially available native plants that are suitable for landscapes in Central Texas. You can narrow that list to find the ones blooming in October by selecting the Narrow Your Search option and choosing "October". You need to realize that although the flowers have been known to bloom during the month of October, climatic conditions sometimes alter the expected bloom periods and plants may not always bloom when they have before.

Here are a few from that list that should be nice for a wedding:

Coreopsis tinctoria var. tinctoria (golden tickseed)

Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida (Dakota mock vervain)

Helianthus maximiliani (Maximilian sunflower)

Liatris mucronata (cusp blazing star)

Melampodium leucanthum (plains blackfoot)

Ratibida columnifera (upright prairie coneflower)

Solidago nemoralis (gray goldenrod)

Thelesperma filifolium var. filifolium (stiff greenthread)

Vernonia baldwinii (Baldwin's ironweed)

Coreopsis tinctoria var. tinctoria

Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida

Helianthus maximiliani

Liatris mucronata

Melampodium leucanthum

Ratibida columnifera

Solidago nemoralis

Thelesperma filifolium var. filifolium

Vernonia baldwinii