Suppport the plant database you love!

Sunday - August 22, 2004

Title: Smarty Plants on showiest time for wildflower blooming
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

I have been to Austin a few times, but never during wildflower season. Can you suggest to me what would be the ideal time to come?

ANSWER:

Early to mid-April is generally the showiest time for wildflower blooming, and is fairly dependant on the weather. If regional Fall and Spring rains come on time, that and other factors will give provide an excellent showing of Spring wildflowers. A combination of wildflowers are at their peak in the Texas Hill Country in early April, specifically Bluebonnets, Indian Blankets and Indian Paintbrush. Look for our annual Wildflower Forecast from our home webpage during early Spring, a service providing info on travel routes for best wildflower viewing in Texas.