Tuesday - October 09, 2007

From: Swanzey, NH
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Controlling invasives and using natives in New Hampshire

QUESTION:

What ideas would you have for marrying the subjects of native plants and invasives? This summer I volunteered to work with our town planner and recycling director on a new initiative called SNIP-IT!: Swanzey Nips Invasive Plants in Town! We were going to use the Recycling Center for a demonstration site because the free compost and woodchips piles have Japanese knotweed beside them. However, after a tour of the recycling center, I found 12 different areas of knotweed. We want to be successful removing invasives, and the only practical approach for these huge infestations is herbicide. The second issue is our town has had much development the past 15 years, and new homeowners landscaped with invasives like burning bush and Japanese barberry (NH now has a law against these plants). I've also seen colt's foot and Bouncing Bet making inroads. Help!

ANSWER:

The State of New Hampshire is very active in its campaign against invasive plant species through its Department of Agriculture Invasive Species Program and cooperatively with the US Department of Agriculture's National Invasive Species Center. There is a wealth of information on the webpages of these organizations about laws and regulations regarding invasive species, lists of invasive species, programs dealing with invasive species and government officials involved.

One possibility for combining programs on native plants and invasives is to launch an educational campaign targeted at developers, landscape professionals and the general public urging the use of native alternatives to invasive landscape plants. There are several publications available that address this issue:

1. "Kick the Invasive Exotic Gardening Habit with Great Native Plant Alternatives" from the US Arboretum

2. "Invasive Plant Species Are Among the Greatest Threats to the Integrity of Natural Areas" from the New England Wild Flower Society (NEWFS)

3. "Alternatives to Invasive Landscape Plants" from the University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension Service

4. "Alternatives to Invasive Ornamental Plant Species" from the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station

5. "Invasive Plant Information for Vermont: Alternatives to Upland Quarantined Invasive Species" from the University of Vermont Extension Service/Vermont Master Gardeners

6. "Earthworks Alternative Plant List for Exotic Invasive Plants of Eastern Massachusetts" from the Earthworks Project—Boston

7. "Invasive Plant Information for Gardeners" from the National Biological Information Infrastructure

8. "Control of Invasive Non-Native Plants" from the Maryland Native Plant Society

9. Burrell, C. Colston. 2006. "Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants." published by the Brooklyn Botanic Garden