Friday - June 29, 2007

From: North Manchester, IN
Title: Tentative identification of Echinacea purpurea

QUESTION:

We have a garden plant that is 18 inches high with a purple coned shaped flower sticking straight into the air. Can someone help us identify it?

ANSWER:

It might be Echinacea purpurea (eastern purple coneflower) but it is difficult to identify a plant by a description alone. We would be very happy to try to identify your plant if you would send us a photograph. Here are instructions from our Mr. Smarty Plants page for doing just that:

Plant Identification

Need help with a plant ID? Send us an email following the instructions below.

1. Tell us where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.

2. Take several images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.

3. Save images in JPEG format, not more than 640 x 480 pixels in size, with resolution set at 300 pixels per inch.

4. Send email with images attached to [email protected]. Put Plant Identification Request in the subject line of your email.

Echinacea purpurea

Echinacea purpurea