Tuesday - June 19, 2007

From: Cedar Hill, TX
Topic: Wildlife Gardens
Title: Butterflies and larval hosts in Dallas County

QUESTION:

My class is starting a butterfly habitat at school. We have researched plants that attract butterflies, however we forgot to look for plants that feed the caterpillars and we want to provide the experience of the caterpillars turning to cocoons, then butterflies. What plants are best for this process? We are in the Grand Prairie area close to Mountain Creek Lake.

ANSWER:

Visit the Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society's excellent web site for a list of butterflies found in Dallas County and the larval host and nectar plants that support them. Also, there are several titles (e.g., "Butterfly Gardening Resources" and "Creating a Wildlife Garden") in our How to articles that should be helpful to you.