Wednesday - July 06, 2016

From: Whittier, CA
Topic: Pests
Title: Green Ash Tree in California Dropping Seeds

QUESTION:

We have two large green ash trees in our front yard. 2 yrs ago, they began to lose seeds year round. When they're green and when they turn brown. I believe they may have termites or some type of insect in them. Branches break off for no apparent reason. Is there a way to get these insects out?

ANSWER:

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. One place to consider going for expert help with your green ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica) is the Urban Forest Ecostystems Institute at Cal Poly. (ufei.calpoly.edu) Dr. Walter Mark is the resident specialist in pathology and entomology. You can email the institute at [email protected].

Another source of professional advice could be the City of Whittier, California Tree Maintenance Supervisor. The city website says they can be contacted at 562-567-9400.

Also be on the watch for a very destructive insect called an Emerald Ash Borer that uses green ash (and many other ash) as a host. The Oregon Department of Forestry has an extensive pdf online with information and images of the insect and resulting damage. (trwc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/RVB-EAB-presentation.pdf)

Green ash
Fraxinus pennsylvanica

Green ash
Fraxinus pennsylvanica

Green ash
Fraxinus pennsylvanica

Green ash
Fraxinus pennsylvanica