Sunday - July 03, 2016

From: Londonderry, NH
Topic: Edible Plants, Shrubs
Title: Bird Attracting Shrub for NH

QUESTION:

I am trying to attract birds to my newly built home's front yard. I have no foliage out front near our picture window. I live in Londonderry, NH. What bush or shrub can I plant that will attract birds that's not more that about 6'?

ANSWER:

There are some good native shrubs that are wonderful for attracting birds to the garden. Take a look at these two that are no more than six feet in height ...  Amelanchier stolonifera (running serviceberry) for its popular edible fruit (for humans and birds) or Symphoricarpos albus (common snowberry) for birds to use the plant for food, cover and nesting sites.

Running serviceberry
Amelanchier stolonifera

Running serviceberry
Amelanchier stolonifera

Common snowberry
Symphoricarpos albus

Common snowberry
Symphoricarpos albus