Thursday - July 07, 2016

From: Castell, TX
Topic: Compost and Mulch, Soils
Title: Using Horse Manure for the Garden

QUESTION:

Can you use horse manure for decomposed matter for your flower beds, etc.?

ANSWER:

Sorry for the delay in answering your question about composting horse manure. Jessica Paige, WSU Cooperative Extension has some good information on the http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/horsecompost5.htm website. Specifically, take a look at her factsheet on how to compost horse manure, including how to manage air exchange, temperature, moisture levels and ingredients in the pile. She also talks about differnt passive or turned pile methods and compost troubleshooting tips. And lastly, Jessica has some compost bin designs to consider. Best wishes with your garden.