Wednesday - March 09, 2016

From: Salado, TX
Topic: Planting, Trees
Title: Growing Loblolly Pine in Salado, Texas
Answered by: Mike Tomme

QUESTION:

I would like to plant a loblolly pine in Salado, Texas. Will these grow well here?

ANSWER:

The easy way to know if a tree will grow well in a certain area is to look around that area and see how many are growing. See any Pinus taeda (Loblolly pine)? That's what I thought. Loblollies prefer moist, sandy or sandy loam, acid-based soils. Is that what you have at your place? That's what I thought.

Salado is well west of the normal range for loblolly pines in Texas and the soils there are far from ideal for their growth. Does that mean you shouldn't try? Not at all. Mr. Smarty Plants has seen many trees growing where the textbook says they shouldn't. Just be aware that it will require a great deal of soil preparation before planting, treatment to increase the soil acidity and lots of water. 

It will be an uphill climb, but I wish you luck.

Loblolly pine
Pinus taeda