Monday - July 11, 2016

Topic: Shade Tolerant, Shrubs
Title: Shrub for Shady Austin, Texas Backyard

QUESTION:

I am looking for a colorful shrub or bush for my drab backyard in Austin. It won't get much sun and I want something native that detracts bugs if possible.

ANSWER:

The first place to start your plant search is the Native Plant Database on our website. Select the following search criteria: Texas, Shrub, Perennial, Part Shade (or Shade if less than 2 hours of sun per day) and an extensive list of shrubs (414 of them) will be generated for you to investigate. You can narrow the list by selecting a specific height, foliage type or soil moisture requirements. It is doubtful if you will find a shrub that specifically says that it will detract bugs though. And, often flowering shrubs will be a denser plant and have more blooms or fruit if they are grown in sunnier locations.

Saskatoon serviceberry
Amelanchier alnifolia

Flame acanthus
Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii

American beautyberry
Callicarpa americana

Coralbean
Erythrina herbacea

Possumhaw
Ilex decidua

Yaupon

Cenizo
Leucophyllum frutescens

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora

Coralberry
Symphoricarpos orbiculatus

Yellow bells
Tecoma stans