Friday - February 05, 2016

From: Round Rock, TX
Topic: Butterfly Gardens
Title: Making a perennial cutting garden friendly to butterflies.

QUESTION:

I would like to start a perennial cutting garden friendly to butterflies Where can I get a list of plants .

ANSWER:

Please visit our Special Collections page where you will find two links to lists of plants that are especially attractive to butterflies:

On both lists you can use the NARROW YOUR SEARCH option in the sidebar to pick plants with your criteria.  Pick "Texas" from the SELECT STATE OR PROVINCE slot and "Perennial" from the LIFESPAN slot.  You can also narrow the results by using other criteria such as GENERAL APPEARANCE, LIGHT REQUIREMENT, BLOOM TIME, etc.

I chose several perennial shrubs that are native to Texas and will bloom in April:

and several herbaceous perennials native to Texas that bloom in September:

There are many more for you to choose from on the three lists.

Cenizo
Leucophyllum frutescens

Barbados cherry
Malpighia glabra

Yellow bells
Tecoma stans

Eastern red columbine
Aquilegia canadensis

Butterflyweed

Drummond's ruellia
Ruellia drummondiana