Saturday - March 05, 2016

From: Corpus Christi, TX
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Getting rid of Mexican Petunia in Chorpus Christi, TX

QUESTION:

What is the best way to get rid of unwanted Mexican Petunia that keeps spreading to unwanted areas of my flower beds?

ANSWER:

Mexican Petunia is known as  Ruellia tweediana or Ruellia simplex or Ruellia brittonia,  and is commonly used as an ornamental. Some gardeners learn too late that it is a very invasive plant.

This link to the University of Florida  gives a comprehensive look at the taxonomy,  as well as its biology, and measures to control its growth.

HGTV  offers some advice about dealing with this plant.

This previously answered Smarty Plants question  also has suggestions for solving your problem.