Suppport the plant database you love!

Tuesday - January 26, 2016

From: Tioga, TX
Topic: Plant Identification, Trees
Title: What are the cone shaped evergreens around Pilot Point, TX?

QUESTION:

What are the cone shaped evergreens around Pilot Point, Texas called? They are dark green with spiky leaves and rough bark. I have a row planted as a windscreen and want to transplant a couple from a shady to a sunny spot before they get too big. I have been researching how to transplant them, but am not sure what they are called. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants finds it difficult to identify plants from a written description, even if it is a good one.  A cone-shaped evergreen with spiky leaves brings to mind Eastern Red Ceda(Juniperus virginiana (Eastern red cedar) which does occur in Grayson County. Its plant profile indicates that it can grow in sun, part. shade, and shade. You probably have neighbors who can identify the trees, and I’m sure that your county agent (Texas Agrilife Extension Service) can.

I have found the following links that will hopefully complement the research you have already done.

How to plant a juniper tree 

Step by Step Guides 

Clemson  1 

Clemson 2   

Northscaping; Minimizing transplant shock 

Eastern red cedar
Juniperus virginiana