Monday - October 19, 2015

From: Sun Lakes, AZ
Topic: Cacti and Succulents
Title: Puncture wound from Blue Agave leaf.

QUESTION:

A blue agave leave went through my glove and into my hand. It's swelled up a bit and hurts. Is this just a passing thing.

ANSWER:

The mission of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes.
The question that you have needs to be addressed to either your Doctor or other Health Care Professional (which I hope you have done by now). The spine of the leaf could have inserted bacteria into your hand which could lead to infection. The juice of some agave can cause contact dermatitis on the skin, but the plant itself is not toxic.