Monday - October 12, 2015

From: Longview, TX
Title: Suggestions for vegetables to grow in North Texas

QUESTION:

Hi, I want some suggestions on vegetable plants that withstands North Texas winter icy weather? and when to plant them? Thanks, Meena.

ANSWER:

Our focus and expertise here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America.  As it turns out, most plants we consider vegetables to grow in our gardens are cultivars of plants that are not native to North America.  So, we aren't the best people to be asking about vegetable plants to withstand winters in North Texas.  I can, however, recommend the best source for the answer to your question—the Gregg County Texas AgriLife Extension Service.  The Gardening section of their webpage has a wealth of articles about vegetable gardening.  You could also contact them by phone, email or go by their office to ask questions.