Friday - October 09, 2015

From: Sarasota, FL
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Trees
Title: Are Royal Poinciana and Royal Empress trees the same?

Hi, can you tell me if the Royal empress tree and the Royal Poinciana are the same tree?

Both are introduced species that are not native to North America, but they are not the same tree.

Paulownia tomentosa (Royal empress or princesstree), Family Scrophulariaceae (Figwort Family), is native to China and is considered invasive in some parts of North America.  Here is more information on its invasive status.

Delonix regia  (Royal poinciana), Family Fabaceae (Bean Family), is native to Madagascar. It is not considered invasive, but caution is advised about its potential for invasiveness in south Florida.