Wednesday - October 14, 2015

From: Salado, TX
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Planting, Seeds and Seeding, Groundcovers, Shade Tolerant, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Finding a source of Straggler daisy

QUESTION:

I've decided on Straggler daisy but am having trouble finding it. It would be perfect for me. Do I have to wait until next Spring for it to show up? Can it be ordered through a nursery or a landscaper? Thanks

ANSWER:

Guy

Calyptocarpus vialis (Straggler daisy), also called Horseherb, seems to be native in your area.  It is usually considered to be a weed, but many people appreciate its properties.  It is great as a groundcover in shady areas.  It is now beginning to green up after fading in the hot summer.  I recently saw a nice solid "lawn" of it by the cell phone lot at the Austin-Bergstrom airport.  You may be able to find Straggler daisy in the wilds by looking in shady areas.  I will attach several photos to guide you. Perhaps one of your local nurseries carries it.  I have seen it in a vegetative state in nurseries, e.g., Barton Springs Nursery, Austin, but not as seed. Here is a list of plant nurseries in your area that might carry Straggler daisy plants.

The following suggestion for planting Straggler daisy is lifted from a web site I found.

"HOW TO EASILY “SEED” AN AREA: Simply find a fast growing, blooming stand of Horseherb and mow it periodically using a lawnmower with a grass catcher attachment. Then thinly spread the Horseherb catchings (clippings) onto the area to be planted. Let the clippings dry for a few days then water or let the next rainfall germinate the very small seed which were collected during mowing. Horseherb will establish itself in stony, shady areas where grass will not grow well. NOTE: Horseherb DOES NOT kill or crowd out grasses; the grass thins or dies and the Horseherb covers the bare spots!"

Horseherb
Calyptocarpus vialis

Horseherb
Calyptocarpus vialis

Horseherb
Calyptocarpus vialis