Tuesday - January 26, 2016

From: Wimberley, TX
Topic: Planting, Trees
Title: How Close to Tree Trunks Should Bricks be Placed?

QUESTION:

Do you have guidelines as to how close bricks can be placed to trees, particularly cypress, cedars and live oaks? Contractors habitually plant up to the trunk and I've had trees die from their roots getting too warm and not enough water getting in to the ground.

ANSWER:

Sherry Rindels has some guidelines and writes in the Horticulture & Home Pest News published by the Iowa State University Extension Specialists. She says, "Avoid planting trees in areas with less than three feet between paved areas. In areas with 3-4 feet between paved areas, plant trees that grow to a mature height of less than 30 feet. In areas with 5-6 feet between paved areas, select trees that mature about 50 feet tall. Reserve trees that mature higher than 50 feet for areas with at least eight feet between paved areas. This allows adequate space for the tree roots."