Tuesday - September 29, 2015

From: Terrell, TX
Title: Sunflowers for Terrell, Texas

QUESTION:

What sunflowers grow best in Terrell, Tx?

ANSWER:

Helianthus hirsutus (Hairy sunflower) is the only plant with the common name "sunflower" that grows in Kaufman County.  Plants in the Genus Helianthus are those that are generally known as "sunflowers".  You can see them in Kaufman County on the USDA Plants Database distribution map.

There are several species of Helianthus, however, that occur in counties adjacent to Kaufman County that should grow well in Kaufman County also.

Helianthus angustifolius (Swamp sunflower) grows in Henderson County.

Helianthus annuus (Common sunflower) grows in Dallas, Rockwall and Hunt Counties.

Helianthus maximiliani (Maximilian sunflower) grows in Dallas, Rockwall and Hunt Counties.

Hairy sunflower
Helianthus hirsutus

Hairy sunflower
Helianthus hirsutus

Hairy sunflower
Helianthus hirsutus

Swamp sunflower
Helianthus angustifolius

Swamp sunflower
Helianthus angustifolius

Common sunflower
Helianthus annuus

Common sunflower
Helianthus annuus

Maximilian sunflower
Helianthus maximiliani

Maximilian sunflower
Helianthus maximiliani