Tuesday - September 22, 2015

From: San Diego, CA
Title: Mexican Feathergrass not Blooming in San Diego
Answered by: Mike Tomme

QUESTION:

Hello, I planted seven Mexican Feathergrass plant about four months ago and only one of them has got the "feathers" at the tip of its grasses. The others are growing nice and tall as well, but not feathering. Do I just need to be more patient or did I get some duds? Thanks!

ANSWER:

I suspect the "feathers" you refer to are the seeds or blooms of Nassella tenuissima (Mexican feathergrass).

According to the USDA plant profile, this plant's native range in the U. S. is in west Texas, southeast New Mexico and just east of San Francisco bay in California. It's habitat is commonly in the desert mountains.

Since most desert plants are typically slow growing, the thing Mr. Smarty Plants finds surprising is not that six of your plants are not blooming, but that one is blooming only four months after being planted. Congratulations on your green thumb.

As for the others, be patient.

Mexican feathergrass
Nassella tenuissima