Friday - September 18, 2015

From: Beecave, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening, Septic Systems
Title: Are 'Ice Blue' Arizona Cypress and Desert Willow safe near a septic system?

QUESTION:

I want to plant a screen to hide driveway/cars on our property line that is close to the septic tank(not septic field) and the septic line running from the house. Would it be safe to plant a Ice Blue Arizona Cypress 5' from the fence and 8' from the septic tank? It would be on a slope and in rocky limestone soil. I have already planted desert willow(Chilopsis Linearis) about 3-4' away from the tank and line before realizing that it may not be wise. I have no trees growing near the new septic field. Do I need to move the desert willow? New house and a first time septic system owner.

ANSWER:

Privacy is a wonderful thing.  A septic system problem is less wonderful.

Arizona Cypress makes a very nice large screen plant.  Unfortunately, Arizona Cypress (Hesperocyparis arizonica) and all of its cultivars are poor choices for use near septic systems.  Likewise, Desert Willow (Chilopsis linearis) is also very prone to invading septic lines and should be moved.