Wednesday - September 02, 2015

From: Liberty Hill, TX
Topic: Meadow Gardens, Seeds and Seeding, Wildflowers
Title: Wildflowers of April wedding in Liberty Hill TX

QUESTION:

We are planning a wedding for April 9 in Liberty Hill, TX (78642) and live on several acres. We would like to plant wildflowers on the land to use for bouquets and centerpieces. Could you please recommend native Texas plants that would hold up for a full day of being held and passed around as well as bloom this early in the season? The more colorful the better to contrast the green background. Thank you! Amelia

ANSWER:

We just answered a question almost identical to yours; so, I'm going to repeat the answer with a few twists.

Normally, the first weekend in April is when we expect of the peak of the Lupinus texensis (Texas bluebonnet) bloom—so, this is is a definite flower species to plan on.  Another plant you generally see blooming with the bluebonnets is Castilleja indivisa (Entireleaf indian paintbrush).   Both of these species are listed in our Cut-flower Suitable Species, a list of native Central Texas plants suitable for cut-flower arrangements. The list contains 200 species, but you can narrow the list to those plants that bloom in March and April by selecting those two months from the option, BLOOM TIME, in the NARROW YOUR SEARCH sidebar.  Native American Seed in Junction TX is one of the Associates in our National Suppliers Directory.  They have a great inventory of native seeds and I think their mix, Lady Bird's Legacy Wildflower Mix, would be perfect for you.  All of the species on that list also occur on the Cut-flower Suitable Species list and more than one half of them bloom in April.

Here are the species that occur on both lists that bloom in March and/or April:

Callirhoe involucrata (Winecup)

Castilleja indivisa (Entireleaf indian paintbrush)

Coreopsis tinctoria (Plains coreopsis)

Echinacea purpurea (Eastern purple coneflower)

Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida (Prairie verbena)

Lupinus texensis (Texas bluebonnet)

Oenothera speciosa (Pink evening primrose)

They do also have seeds of individual species of many of the other wildflowers on the Cut-flower Suitable Species list.

We have a special "How to Article" telling you How to Grow Bluebonnets and Scarification FAQs under ALL ABOUT BLUEBONNETS.  Even though you have only a few acres, you would probably be interested in the articles under LARGE SCALE WILDFLOWER PLANTINGS on our "How to Articles" page—Getting Started and Meadow Gardening

You will see in the "How to Grow Bluebonnets" article that it is recommended to sow the seeds by early October since they will germinate then and grow throughout the winter season.  The "Meadow Gardening" article also recommends sowing other wild flower seeds in the fall since many of the seeds require exposure to cold temperatures in order to germinate in the spring.

If the cut flowers are in vases with water, they should hold up well for the day;  however, if you want to have bouquets that hold up well, you probably will need a source of water to place the stems in.  You can find a great variety of possibilities by googling "water tubes for bouquets".   

You need to keep in mind that the abundance of the wildflowers that will bloom depends on several factors—the main one being the weather and, in particular, the rainfall.  In spring 2015 we had a spectacular show of bluebonnets and other March and April bloomers because we had more than adequate rainfall during the winter and spring.  As you no doubt know, we are not so lucky with our rainfall every year so you should have some plans to supplement the use of wildflowers for your wedding. 

If you follow the guidelines for maintaining your meadow garden, you should have beautiful flowers there for many years to come.

Winecup
Callirhoe involucrata

Texas indian paintbrush
Castilleja indivisa

Plains coreopsis
Coreopsis tinctoria

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Prairie verbena
Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Pink evening primrose
Oenothera speciosa