Wednesday - August 12, 2015

From: Kerrville, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Watering, Drought Tolerant, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Will Bermuda grass survive a drought-induced dormancy?

QUESTION:

If I stop watering a Bermuda grass lawn and let it go dormant, will it green up again when it rains again?

ANSWER:

Bermuda grass is one of the best grasses for use in drought-prone areas.  But I suggest that you give your lawn a good deep watering before letting it go dormant.  The grass roots will grow down to capture the deep moisture, and this will help to keep the roots alive during the subsequent drought.