Wednesday - August 12, 2015

From: Kihei, HI
Region: Hawaii
Topic: Plant Lists, Shrubs
Title: Flowering shrub for Kihei, Hawaii

QUESTION:

I live in Kihei Hawaii, near the beach but across the road from it. I am looking for a hedge that flowers, can be trimmed is dense and grows rather quickly. 3-4ft in height. We have bougainvillia now and want another option possibly.

ANSWER:

All of the following are either endemic or indigenous to Hawaii and all occur on the island of Maui according to the USDA Plants Database.

Capparis sandwichiana (Native caper)  Hawaiian name: maiapilo

Here is information from Hui Kū Maoli Ola and here are photos and more information from Native Plants Hawaii.

Gardenia brighamii (Forest gardenia)  Hawaiian name:  nau

Gossypium tomentosum (Hawai'ian cotton)  Hawaiian name:  mao

Here is information from Hui Kū Maoli Ola and and here are photos and more information from Native Plants Hawaii.

Hibiscus kokio ssp. kokio (Red rosemallow)  Hawaiian name:  kokioulaula

Lysimachia hillebrandii (puahekili)  Hawaiian name:  kolokolo kuahiwi

Here is information from Hui Kū Maoli Ola and and here are photos and more information from  Hawaiian Native Plant Propagation Database.

Nototrichium sandwicense (Hawai'i rockwort)  Hawaiian name:  kulu`i

Osteomeles anthyllidifolia (Hawai'i hawthorn)  Hawaiian name:  `ulei

Scaevola gaudichaudii (ridgetop naupaka)  Hawaiian name:  naupaka kuahiwi

Vitex rotundifolia (roundleaf chastetree)  Hawaiian names:  pohinahina; polinalina; kolokolo kahakai; mawanawana

You can read about Hui Kū Maoli Ola, the Hawaiian native plant nursery on Oahu and there is a native plant nursery on Maui, maui Native Nursery.