Wednesday - August 12, 2015

From: Frisco, TX
Topic: Plant Lists, Shrubs, Wildflowers
Title: Native flowering plants for Frisco, Texas

QUESTION:

Hi There, I recently moved from Ohio, Cleveland to TX, Frisco. Could you please suggest me native flowering plants in my back yard and front yard. I like different flowers.

ANSWER:

Welcome to Texas!

On our Special Collections page you can find Recommended Species by State and native plants for Frisco would be in the Texas–North Central Recommended list.  On that list you can use the NARROW YOUR SEARCH OPTIONS in the sidebar to select for special features such General Appearance, Light Requirement, Bloom Time, etc.

Here are some of my suggestions from the list for:

SHRUBS

Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii (Flame acanthus) is a favorite of hummmingbirds.

Lantana urticoides (Texas lantana) is a favorite of butterflies.

Salvia greggii (Autumn sage) is evergreen or semi-evergreen.

HERBACEOUS PLANTS

Aquilegia canadensis (Eastern red columbine) is a semi-evergreen perennial that grows in shade or part shade.

Asclepias tuberosa (Butterflyweed) is a perennial with very showy orange flowers and is a host plant for Monarch butterfly caterpillars.

Conoclinium coelestinum (Blue mistflower) is a perennial that butterflies love.  It blooms July through November.

Echinacea purpurea (Eastern purple coneflower) is a perennial with a long bloom period.

Engelmannia peristenia (Engelmann's daisy) is perennial and evergreen.

Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida (Prairie verbena) is a low-growing wildflower that can bloom almost all year long.

Melampodium leucanthum (Blackfoot daisy) is a low-growing perennial that blooms March through November.

There are many more possibilities that you find for yourself in the list.

You can find nurseries in your area that specialize in native plants in our National Suppliers Directory.

Flame acanthus
Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii

Texas lantana
Lantana urticoides

Autumn sage
Salvia greggii

Eastern red columbine
Aquilegia canadensis

Butterflyweed

Blue mistflower
Conoclinium coelestinum

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Engelmann's daisy
Engelmannia peristenia

Prairie verbena
Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida

Blackfoot daisy
Melampodium leucanthum