Tuesday - August 11, 2015

From: Prior Lake, MN
Topic: Planting, Erosion Control, Shade Tolerant, Ferns, Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs, Trees
Title: Erosion controlling plants for a shady Minnesota lakeside

QUESTION:

I live about 50 yards from a lake and there is a steep embankment. Recently someone decided to cut the trees off the embankment and now the dirt is eroding off the embankment as well as off my back yard. I want to put in native plants, bushes or ? My back yard is very shady and the embankment gets evening sun and is very steep.

ANSWER:

An excellent guide for developing your shady back yard has been published by the University of Minnesota Extension Service.  I suggest that you consult the lists for possibilities.  You could then learn more about each species by brousing through this Wildflower Center web site descrlibing many of the species.  Check for the availability of the plants at one of your local plant nurseries.