Suppport the plant database you love!

Wednesday - July 14, 2004

Title: Propagation of wild grape vines
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

How can I propagate wild grape vines where I want them to grow?

ANSWER:

You may have encounteredVitis mustangensis (mustang grape), commonly referred to as Mustang Grape, or possibly Vitis cinerea var. helleri (Heller's grape) found in the Edwards Plateau. Either of these native grapes may  be propagated vegetatively or by seed. I am going to reference "How to Grow Native Plants" by noted local author and landscape designer, Jill Nokes: a fall sowing outdoors or by cold moist stratification at 33 to 40 degrees for about 12 weeks should break seed dormancy for adequate germination. Select middle or basal wood from the current season's growth when propagating from hardwood cuttings; softwood cuttings may root readily under a 10 day mist-bench treatment. Plant the immature vine in sandy loam soil in partial shade; the plant will grow vigorously toward the light. Keep in mind that you will have to perform seasonal maintenance pruning to keep the growth in check.

Mustang grape
Vitis mustangensis

Winter grape
Vitis cinerea var. helleri