Tuesday - July 21, 2015

From: Round rock , TX
Topic: Propagation, Seeds and Seeding, Drought Tolerant, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Propagation of Blackfoot daisy seed

QUESTION:

I have a three yr old Blackfoot daisy. How do you root Blackfoot daisy seeds? When is the best month to grow these seeds?

ANSWER:

Melampodium leucanthum (Blackfoot daisy) is so heat- and drought-tolerant that is can thrive where most other plants die.  However, starting the seeds growing is another matter, since at this stage moisture is needed and scarification helps.  I am going to refer you to a recent Smarty Plants answer to the same question.

"Our usual sources to answer this question failed us, so we wandered around on the Internet and picked up these pieces of information propagating  Melampodium leucanthum (Blackfoot daisy).

"Seeds germinate better if acid scarified. When the soil is warm, sow the seed. Cuttings from semi-soft stems root well and should be approaching woodiness."

"Collect seeds from base of outer ray flowers in the Fall."

Here is an article from Dave's Garden that is probably the most informative."

Melampodium leucanthum

Melampodium leucanthum

Melampodium leucanthum