Friday - July 03, 2015

From: Alexander City, AL
Topic: Planting, Wildflowers
Title: Wedding Flowers for Alabama
Answered by: Larry Larson

QUESTION:

I am considering planting wildflowers for my wedding in early/middle May of 2016. Could I plant seed this fall and have bloom by late April in time for my May wedding?

ANSWER:

Your timing is actually pretty good for this!   Mr Smarty Plants normally doesn’t recommend planting Wildflowers as people ask the question at the wrong time and when [and how well] they flower is highly dependent on the weather.

As a small correction, the wildflowers seed themselves pretty much right now, so don't wait until Fall.  If you are going to do it, now is the time! Of course, make sure you have backup plans for a drought or inaspicioious hailstorm or whatever.

May we suggest some good candidates?  You can search the Special Collection for Alabama and select “Herbs” that bloom in April and May.  When I did this, I found 16 candidates!  Check out the pictures I have added below and you should try it yourself to review the other candidates.

Common yarrow
Achillea millefolium

Butterflyweed

Plains coreopsis
Coreopsis tinctoria

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Cardinal flower
Lobelia cardinalis

Lemon beebalm
Monarda citriodora

Pink evening primrose
Oenothera speciosa

Birdfoot violet
Viola pedata