Friday - May 08, 2015

From: Laredo, TX
Topic: Plant Identification, Vines
Title: Identity of vining plants in yard in Texas

QUESTION:

I have vining plants in my back-yard, here when I bought the house, that, from what I have been able to find on-line, look like poison sumac, however, I know they are not. Leaf shape, color, and appearance seem to be almost identical, growth pattern of leaves is 13 to a stem, however, no red in the stem, just plain green, and currently nothing resembling any flower blooms or berries. I cannot seem to find this plant on-line or anyone who knows what it is. In all probability they were purchased from Lowe's, (I can find most of all the other plants in my front and back yard at Lowe's) however, currently, I don't seem to find anything at Lowe's that resemble theses, help!

ANSWER:

The Wildflower Center's focus and expertise are in plants native to North America.  If you suspect your unidentified vines are from Lowe's, it is highly unlikely that they are plants native to North America.  Your best bet is to take photographs of the plant and visit our Plant Identification page where you will find links to plant identification forums that accept photos of plants for identification.  Be sure to read the "Important Notes" at the bottom of the page with advice on taking and submitting photos.