Wednesday - June 17, 2015

From: Baltimore, MD
Topic: Pruning, Shrubs
Title: Cutting back a Rhododendron in Maryland

QUESTION:

I have a planting of six shrubs across the front of my house (alternating azalea & rhododendron). All have died except for one huge rhody & a small azalea next to it. Can I cut the huge rhody back to maintain some scale to new replacement shrubs or would it be best to let it go, too, since some ailment has taken the others? Can you recommend some native shrubs for the new planting? Many thanks.

ANSWER:

You should probably leave the large rhododendron at full size since it is growing well. You can prune rhododendrons and the best time is in the spring. The next best time is after they bloom. The American Rhododendron Society has a factsheet online for pruning rhododendrons that you might like to read.

To find a list of native shrubs that would be good companion plants for your rhododendron, go to the Native Plant Database  and search for Maryland, shrub, perennial. Then select your sunlight levels and soil moisture to get a large pool of plants to make your next choices. Consider heights, texture and blooming times so there is some variety in your planting.

Eastern sweetshrub
Calycanthus floridus

American beautyberry
Callicarpa americana

Coastal pepperbush
Clethra alnifolia

Northern bush honeysuckle
Diervilla lonicera

Swamp sweetbells
Eubotrys racemosus

Sheep laurel
Kalmia angustifolia