Thursday - April 23, 2015

Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Trees
Title: Looking for non-native Chinese Pistache tree

QUESTION:

Where in the Austin area would be a good place to find a nice sized Chinese Pistache to plant in my yard?

ANSWER:

Our mission at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes.

Pistacia chinensis (Chinese pistache), as its name suggests, is a native of China and East Asia and has been introduced into North America.  It is also considered an invasive species so we would not recommend planting it at all.  We would recommend several alternative native species to plant that create beautiful fall colors:

Rhus lanceolata (Prairie flameleaf sumac)

Acer grandidentatum (Bigtooth maple)

Quercus shumardii (Shumard oak)

Quercus texana (Nuttall oak)

You can check our National Suppliers Directory for nurseries in your area that specialize in native plants.

Prairie flameleaf sumac
Rhus lanceolata

Bigtooth maple
Acer grandidentatum

Shumard oak
Quercus shumardii

Texas red oak
Quercus buckleyi